Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

I Can Breathe

I finally got my masks. I have been waiting for weeks and they are finally here. The winters here are not only bitterly cold, they are hazardous to your lungs. The pollution is definitely at its worst in the winters with coal as the major heat producer here. You can literally taste the coal in your mouth and feel it in your lungs and stomach. It sounds as nice as it is in reality.




Granted, they are a little silly looking but they help so much. I feel so much better when I go out on nasty days now. Wish it had been here on Thursday...I now have a killer head-cold because of the hazardous air quality here. Anyway, when it gets cold it will hope my face stay warm. Yay! For anyone in Beijing, the pollution masks are from I Can Breathe and are available in several countries. The US, Hong Kong and Australia to name a few. I highly recommend them!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's insane that you need to wear face masks! I can't imagine the air quality being bad enough for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate! The air in HK isn't as bad but it's already reached "hazardous" levels a few times this month. For some reason people don't really wear masks here, unless they're sick, but I've got a cough already and it's only October so I think they're a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had 4 days in a row of Hazardous air and in the winter it only gets worse. The coal in the air just lights your lungs on fire and turns your stomach. Michelle, be happy you don't have to deal with it! Oh and I can breathe has a retailer in HK: http://www.greenearthsociety.com/new/index.htm I would highly recommend them. We had enough lung infections last winter to have learned our lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is crazy! I always wondered why the Chinese people wear face masks, I guess I didn't realize their air quality was so bad.

    ReplyDelete