Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Beijing Lifestyle Listography

     Something that won't surprise most expats but that I find funny are the things you get used to in your new country/ state/ city/ wherever. I started thinking about this last week while I was waiting for hubs at the subway station. I looked around and saw all of the things that were mystifying to me at first that are now normal, but still funny. I really like the “Listography” that I see on others blogs, so here is my list for the week.

Things that don't surprise me anymore in Beijing:

  1. The Chinese are masters at filling their respective modes of transportation to capacity. I thought I knew what that meant in the States, but since moving here I realized that I really had no idea what the word “capacity” really meant. I've seen four people on a scooter, 8 people in a 4 person car and every day I see buses fit 10 more people on when anywhere else in the world they would have taken 10 people off. I wish I had a good picture, but as of now I don't...that will be on my list of things to capture on film.

  2. Shameless picking and scratching. I am used to “catching” people do this...picking your nose in the corner as if you really just wanted to get a close look at the wall, the glance around before the butt scratch etc. Not in China my friends. If you have business that needs taking care of, do it anywhere and do not be ashamed. If your talking to your best friend, feel free to pick your nose and then inspect the findings. If you are on the packed escalator and your butt itches, feel free to shove your hand down your pants and scratch that itch...don't worry about the poor American guy behind you whose face it right there (hubs)...hilarious incident.

  3. On a similar note, in the subway station this week I saw a man drop his drawers...down to his ankles, so that he could properly tuck his shirt in. No shame, just dropped em right there with hundred of people around.

  4. Totally pant-less children walking around. In the winter it was the split pants and those are still more common than all out nudity, but it no longer surprises me when kid's parents just decide that a shirt will do for today.

  5. Not seeing any blue in the sky. This one makes me sad but it is a fact of life in Beijing, especially in the summer. I wake up some days and I can barely see across the street.
     Other expats, I would love to hear the top 5 things that don't surprise you anymore about your host country. If your not an expat, no problem, tweak the list into the top five things about xyz that no longer surprise you.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could get used to the kids with the hole in the pants! This is such a cute idea, I'm going to do this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not an expat but I have laughed at your list - how wonderful to be so care fee wnd not give a damn about matters that we would prefer to keep private. So do you pick your nose and drop your trousers When you are out and about now?? After all, if you can't beat them you may aswell join them!!

    ReplyDelete